grandmas

Thursday, January 25, 2018

Pillow talk

I never leave home without my pillow.
It goes everywhere with me.
When I travel I take a smaller version of the same pillow I sleep on at home — one I never share.
It's soft, mashable and friendly. It's warm. It stays cool.
When I lose it during the night, I wake up and end up searching around in the dark on the floor for it. If I try to sleep on any of the varieties offered me in hotels, I wake up with a neck ache and usually a head ache.
But in the last year or so, it's become harder to love.
I guess pillows don't last forever. This one had done its time for 40-50 years, maybe?
I tried to replace it with another similar one that was a little too fluffy thinking that after a while it would flatten out enough I could love it.
Didn't happen.
So I starting looking at the display at Bed, Bath & Beyond. They had pillows peddled by this guy who claimed he invented it and it was the best pillow anywhere.
It looked okay but it was kinda lumpy and filled with what felt like bits of foam.
It was also $50.
I looked at it, felt it, tried to imagine myself spending nights with it.
I went home and tried to gauge how closely it matched my beloved.
I returned to the display a couple more times and tried to talk myself into spending so much on a pillow I might not love.
I went out on the internet and read their spiel.
Hey! They offered a 60-day guarantee.
I found a coupon that gave me $10 off the price.
That pushed me over the edge.
I hustled down to the store and bought one.
"Oh, you'll love this!" the store clerk said.
"If I don't, I'll be back," I assured her, gathering up my receipt and tucking it safely into a pocket in my purse.
I tried it that night.
Wow. It was morning before I knew it.
I tried it again for my afternoon nap. Ahhhh.
In less than a week, I'd shredded the receipt and formally adopted my new pillow.
I look forward to bedtime and sinking into slumber. I go to sleep and stay asleep.
I've since talked Marc into buying one though he's always maintained that pillows are all the same and it doesn't matter what you sleep on. He doesn't say that so much now.
I've bought a travel-size one and looking forward to taking it along with me on many voyages.
(No one paid me to say any of this although I would if someone asked me!)
Here's to getting good, deep, sleep!


No comments:

Post a Comment