grandmas

Wednesday, December 5, 2018

You can't lie to the MRI...

I just flunked my latest MRI test.
I didn't intend to.
I, in fact, expected to ace it.
I've had these diagnostic tests before and it's never bothered me to be slid in under a big white kind of saucer thing for 4-5 minutes at a stretch.
I would just close my eyes and go somewhere else in my head while the machine clattered and knocked.
But this time I was supposed to have two done at the same time, one for my right shoulder and one for the left. I went in all full of confidence expecting to be done in a couple of hours and on my way to understanding why my arms burn and hurt without me doing anything to aggravate them.
So I laid down to have my arms sandbagged and shut my eyes.
Three hours later, I was sobbing in the parking lot, trying to understand what happened.
I failed to hold still, apparently, though I tried and could have sworn I held rock still.
 Trouble became obvious when the technician kept coming to talk to me under the saucer mechanism.
"You are squirmy," he said. "It's blurring the image."
I was surprised.
I really thought I was holding completely still.
I breathed in and out but no too deeply. I clenched my fists.
I held my breath.
Nothing worked.
No matter how hard I tried, I kept messing up the test.
"Are you nervous?" asked the tech guy. "No, I'm trying," I said, feeling like a 4-year-old who won't eat her vegetables. "I held still. Honest."
"You can't lie to the MRI," he informed me rather brusquely.
We tried again, over and over.
This time, he impatiently pushed back the machine and said, "I don't know what to do. It's getting worse. I can't send these images to the doctor."
I shook my numb fingers thinking I was done for the night.
"Don't do that! he cried. "Now you've ruined it!
Oops. I thought it was over.
He sighed in exasperation, probably needing to be someplace else at 7 p.m. at night.
He told me to give it up and go get dressed.
On the way out, he suggested I get some Valium from my doctor and come back drugged.
"Maybe that will help," he said.
OK. I can do that. But I don't have a lot of expectations for the next try. I will take the Valium and relax and just keep breathing.
But I KNOW I was already holding as still as I can.
I can't hold any stiller.
Maybe if I die?





No comments:

Post a Comment