grandmas

Monday, November 18, 2019

This is not goodbye to Donny and Marie

I always wanted to impress my father.
But he had what I considered unrealistic expectations of me and my career.
He kept telling people I would be an award-winning journalist one day when I was just happy to be writing for a weekly at first and then a daily and a better daily.
I am a realist and while I loved writing and felt I was doing well to find good stories, meet my deadlines and handle my interviews with some grace, I knew I wasn't probably going to win a Pulitzer.
After all I had six kids to raise while I was having a career.
I taught myself to use the computer and learned several different programs along the way.
I had basically taught myself all I knew and said thank you every night in my prayers that I hadn't made any fatal errors.
I was paying the bills and enjoying the education. People talked to me and trusted my stories.
But my dad kept saying these things and I always kind of felt I wasn't living up to the hype.
So when I was doing a story on Donny and Marie and the renewal of their show in Las Vegas, I again heard the prediction from him.
Meanwhile I was working with their publicist and arranging a visit to the show.
I've interviewed each of the famous Osmonds over the years, Jay when he wrote a book, Jimmy when he produced a children's book, Merrill when he went on tour, the brothers for Christmas concerts, Donny and Marie for a number of events and gigs.
The last story involved hassling Marie to get some phone time.
I played phone tag with Donny before we connected and I had the story information.
These Osmonds are busy, busy.
(They were always very nice, very professional. Marie was actually just coming on the line when her producer tried to call her away. "I just started talking to her!" she told him and finished the interview, bless her heart.)
I did the story, attended the concert — which was a fine, polished, fun show.
I was happy.
We went twice, in fact.



And later, when my father ran into Donny at some event, Donny didn't blink when my dad said, "My daughter is Sharon Haddock. She's talked to you."
Donny said, "Oh, I know Sharon Haddock!"
I figured that was my prize.


No comments:

Post a Comment