grandmas

Wednesday, June 17, 2020

New oven, old me...


There's a lot to keep up with right now what with all the rules that go along with the Pandemic.
If I decide to go shopping, I have to remember if the store is open, grab my mask and plan a good route.
If I want to look around at anything, I have to pretty well know what it is I want before I start.
I need, more than ever, to plan things ahead even though there is not much to actually plan.
It's blowing my mind.
That became clear the other day when I decided my granddaughters and I would bake some banana bread.
I had ripe bananas begging to be put to good use.
I had a trusted recipe in my recipe card box.
I had brown sugar and white sugar and oil and eggs.
We started organizing the ingredients.
One granddaughter greased the glass baking pans and started beating the eggs.
The other one measured out the spices, poured in the oil and the sugars.
We mashed the bananas.
At one point, the question came up? "Should we mix all the wet things first and then the dry things?"
"No," I showed them the recipe card. "It says, mix in the order given."
We soldiered on, adding everything in a bowl and pouring the mixture into the two loaf pans.
I looked at my new oven which is supposed to be a new age convection oven if I wanted it to be.
I decided I didn't want to fuss with a newfangled process so I punched in the button that I thought kept it being a conventional oven.
(One button said "Conv bake." The other said Conv roast." Above that it said "Bake" but what oven doesn't?)
I opted for the "Conv bake" thinking that meant conventional bake.
I soon realized I chose wrong.
The bread was bubbling and the fan kept coming on and off.
I'm thinking I mistakenly put it on convection oven mode so I decided to keep the temperature down and cut the baking time.
I turned on the oven light and started watching carefully.
The bread turned brown, then dark brown and continued to bubble.
It smelled really good and I crossed my fingers a lot.
Finally, after 45 minutes had passed, we lost hope.
I figured the convection oven process had ruined our good effort.
We pulled out some underdone, burned banana loaves.
"Maybe we needed some flour?" said my older granddaughter carefully.
What? Flour?
I looked at the recipe card. Sure enough, it asked for three cups flour.
Why had I not noticed that earlier?
The last line was hidden in the slot for the recipe card so that's a bit of an excuse but not really.
I had blown it and let down my granddaughters who now had to settle for a couple of store-bought donuts instead of warm, fragrant, homemade banana bread. I'm embarrassed.
Blame it on the Pandemic, I say.

P.S. We regrouped and tried it again. This time the bread rose, the oven was great and I didn't get in the way of Adell and Hannah's success. Woo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment