grandmas

Monday, July 20, 2020

Bee back soon...


In my ongoing effort to grow a decent zucchini, we planted carefully this year.
Marc prepared the soil.
I re-read my Western Gardens book and planted seeds in two little hills.
We watered faithfully and kept our fingers well crossed.
Now we have lush, flowering, big-leafed zucchini plants.
But no zucchini.
The plants are huge with large yellow flowers.
The leaves are green and there is a lot of potential.
But no zucchini.
(Actually there's one, a tiny 3-inch fruit that we reaped and cooked and ate. Given the size of the plants, there should be more!)
We couldn't figure out what was wrong until we read a story in the newspaper about a serious lack of bumblebees.
Apparently we are not the only ones out there wondering what happened to our garden crops.
They are not being pollinated.
The bees are not coming by and doing their job.
That's apparently because there is a shortage of bees due to global warming, pesticide use and loss of habitat.
In fact, according to the Deseret News story, there are 93 percent fewer bumblebees than there have been in the last 20 years.
The bumblebee may make the endangered species list.
I'm worried and not just about my zucchini.
I think it's a serious sign of trouble.
We are cutting down forests, wiping out coral reefs, warming the arctic ice and generally messing up the planet.
I think it's time to redefine ourselves and our goals.
There's a lot at stake, billions of dollars and food for bears since the huckeberries in the wild aren't getting what they need either.
Meanwhile, to be clear, I need my zucchini.

No comments:

Post a Comment