grandmas

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Checking the chicken

I usually stand up and applaud businesses that admit to making a mistake.
Car manufacturers who issue recalls and offer to pay for the needed repair or adjustment. They're doing the right thing.
Companies who tell you right out that they've been hacked help you take preventive measures.
When the credit union calls to tell me my card might have been used fraudulently it's a pain because I have to get a new card but I think it's good to know.
I think Target deserved some credit for telling us all our information may have been compromised when we shopped there last Christmas. It may bury them eventually but the alternative is to keep quiet and we all pay.
I believe it takes courage and some understanding of human nature to just take it on the chin when it's unavoidable — er, the right thing to do.
But Costco doesn't get any points from me for telling me in July that the chicken I bought in March might have been tainted "due to the presence of Salmonella Heidelberg."
Why would I want to know that now?
I guess if I still had some in the freezer that had a pull or freeze date of March 17 to March 31 I would appreciate knowing I should toss it.
But the chicken I bought three months ago is long gone and eaten and I can't recall if anybody got sick from ingesting it.
It might have upset somebody's tummy but I can't go back and say, "Hey, remember when I had you over for Sunday dinner. I'm sorry to tell you that, according to Costco, the chicken was probably bad."
I am somewhat appalled at the late notice. There's little I can do about it now except look very suspiciously at the meat display as I contemplate buying something to cook for dinner.
And how does Costco know I bought some anyway. Is there a big brother thing going on here I don't fully appreciate?

No comments:

Post a Comment