grandmas

Thursday, February 22, 2018

Grandma's bag

I suppose I'm rationalizing when I say my practice of taking in treats and small drinks to the movies for my grandchildren isn't wrong.
Marc calls it smuggling.
I say it's my way of providing decent snacks and refreshment when the alternative is not only really expensive but consists of junk calories and sugar.
When I load up five grandkids for the summer clubhouse movie, I admit I have to take a really big purse to hold the popcorn, the small tin cans of drink and the chocolate bars.
I then proceed to divvy out the goods along with straws, napkins and Wet Wipes.
The kids are happy and I'm happy.
There's no waiting in line and no fussing over the choices.
I've been quite happy with my life of crime.
So today, when Marc showed me the story about Cinemark moving to ban big bags from the movie theaters, I was sorry to see it.
The company line is that it will help with security concerns (not like the grandmothers out there are packing guns in their purses).
Cinemark says it's necessary to protect their customers (and their bottom line).
I am willing to say I'm sorry and even willing to change my lowdown ways.
BUT I still won't buy the candy and treats available at the showhouse concession stand.
It's all way over-priced for one thing.
And I don't appreciate being forced into paying a high price for something I don't want to eat or have my grandchildren eat.
I suppose I could just bring a smaller bag but I hear the theaters are also going to start searching incoming luggage.
Maybe I could start wearing my grandma vest with all the little velcro pockets to the movies.
No one would suspect a thing, would they?

No comments:

Post a Comment