grandmas

Monday, February 12, 2018

Survival camp

Marc and I are nearly fully recovered and it's only been three weeks since we came back from California with some version of the plague.
(We can't really call it the plague. The doctors ruled out the flu and we don't have a definitive diagnosis. I'm just calling it Travelitis to the third degree.)
We have been miserable and nothing except time and cussing seemed to help.
Marc was congested and wheezing.
I had a headache, a cough and a general sense of complete hopelessness.
Neither of us had an appetite or the will to live.
By the time we went to the urgent care clinic, we were marginally better but still pretty discouraged.
Now that I'm upright again and feeling stronger I have made a short list of resolutions so as to avoid such situations in the future.
1. Never go anywhere on a plane. There is evidence that planes are full of germs just whirling around and around.
2. Never eat in a fast food or restaurant-style establishment. You don't know how the food is prepared and if you lay your fork on the counter, the germs jump on.
3. Never use a public restroom at the circus. The customers coming and going (no pun intended here) aren't taking the proper sanitary measures and the unisex/open sink facilities are basically giant petri dishes.
4. Never talk to anybody else anywhere. Who knows where they've been?
5. Never assume anything's clean; the hotel sheets, the pillows, the couch, the bathtub, the keys on the computer where you go to get your boarding passes.
Actually, nothing nowhere is safe.
As I reviewed where we went and what we did, I tried to come up a common denominator that explained our getting sick.
Was it the fork I returned in the restaurant that still had food on it?
Was it the pocket full of trash left in the airplane seat as the workers hurried to ready it for the next batch of people?
Was it the guy snuffling in the pharmacy where I went to refill my insulin prescription?
Was it my imagination?
Were we just extraordinarily lucky?
Whatever the cause, I'm perplexed as we move ahead now. We have several other big trips lined up and I never want to feel that badly again.
I guess a face mask and a protective suit is the answer.
Or fly solo in my own plane with a personal chef.
And never mingle.


No comments:

Post a Comment