grandmas

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Social Insecurity



Let me say right out, Social Security has been good to us.
We've been paid benefits that have made our financial life a working program.
Social Security has been up to speed on every aspect of our working lives and even ahead of the game in several instances.
So there's really no reason that now, as we approach the day when we'll be depending on Medicare, I'm really nervous.
I fear making a big mistake, missing a critical deadline or committing an unintentional felony.
There's been so much hype about signing up before time runs out that I'm paranoid. Marc's insurance has allowed us to extend past our 65th birthdays so it feels like we're living dangerously.
(Also our insurance is so good that I fear we'll really, really miss it.)
Now he's retiring and everything may change.
I've taken a number of steps to try and prepare for stepping off the shore into the river so you'd think I could relax.
I have a lady who says we can pretty much stay in the same zone with our insurance needs - same doctors, hospital system, etc., but I've yet to get an actual cost.
I've learned a bit about Part B and took the forms over to the Social Security office this morning to register.
Now I suppose I wait a bit.
But it feels like waiting to see the principal after trouble in class.
When I stood in line at the officer and waited for my number to be called, my heart rate jumped.
When I handed the guy at Window 3 my papers, I felt anxiety.
When he smiled and said, "Oh good. You have all the information ready," I was pleasantly surprised.
Now I suppose I just put in a little more time and I'll be good to go.
Somebody will call me and tell me what happens next, the bottom line.
Is there really any reason to be afraid?

No comments:

Post a Comment