grandmas

Thursday, January 30, 2020

Saying goodbye once more...

I thought I'd said my goodbyes already.
When the Deseret News gave my husband and I the dreaded blue folders on the same day nearly 10 years ago, that was a hard goodbye.
It was unexpected on my part because I'd been at the newspaper for 17 years and I was comfortable in my position. (Marc had been there fewer years.)
In retrospect, we can see where the newspaper was trying to deal with shifting sands as the Internet took advertising and readers before the traditional news media could adjust.
We are all right but it's difficult to watch an industry die.
Then I was allowed to work until the end of the year and keep using my Deseret News email address and work as a freelancer after that.
I told myself to count my blessings. I had my health, my husband, my severance and the opportunity to write a little without commuting into Salt Lake.
I kept merrily on until last Tuesday.
For some reason, my gmail account wouldn't work with me. I got messages informing me that the account had been disabled.
I figured it was some kind of glitch that makes trouble whenever there's an update. (I have a love/hate relationship with updates!)
I contacted the systems person who had helped me in the past when something technical blocked my way.
He said the account had been shut off and headed me to the fellow responsible.
I'm apparently having to say goodbye once again.
I have a month to let everybody I've worked with over the past 40 years know my email address is now gone.
I'm no longer: haddoc@deseretnews.com.
I'm: haddocklady@gmail.com.
The good news is that I can use my whole last name: haddock with a "k."
The bad news is that it's like changing out a credit card...How do you know who needs to know? How do you head off the contacts who won't know where you have gone or why you are not answering an urgent email?
I'm strangely sad.
This brings back all the loss and frustration I felt when I was originally let go.
I feel like less of a person.
I hate change.
Welcome to my brave, new world!

1 comment:

  1. I recently had to change my cc due to a merchant error. I thought I had made the change on all the accts but, but darn, it still isn't completely change. Still get occasional emails that the # isn't valid. But your email is more personal and a bigger headache!
    Jean

    ReplyDelete