grandmas

Sunday, March 8, 2020

I'm being tracked...

I am currently under surveillance.
Every move I make with my Nissan Leaf is documented.
If I brake too quickly or if I take a corner too sharply it gets noticed.
If I speed or do anything at all that is amiss, I am written up.
On the other hand, I often get a score of 100 for driving like a true grandma in my electric Leaf.
It's part of a new program offered by the state to try and define if we electric car owners are paying too much or too little for our zero emission cars.
It started with a $100 charge to our registration bill that is supposed to make us equal to gas-powered vehicles who pay taxes for road maintenance.
A few folks objected to the seemingly random tax tacked onto our yearly bill.
It kind of came out of nowhere when somebody realized we drive on the same roads that other cars drive on and we don't pay for them.
So now we are enrolled in a test program that asks that we attach a little gadget to our steering column.
Once activated, it becomes a little driving use hall monitor that notes everything we do, every trip to the store, every mistake, every turn.
If I step on the gas too hard and accelerate too quickly, I get a little red bubble on my history.
If I am going over the speed limit by a mile, I get another red dot.
Marc think it's hilarious because I am always telling him not to treat the Leaf like a race car when all he wants to do is prove it has good pickup and can handle the road.
Actually,
I think this little gizmo is basically proving that I am pretty much a responsible, careful grandma driver with very little zip and style.
(Never mind the history I have of backing into things. I've atoned for that.)
I don't really mind that the little gadget is really shadowing my every move.
I have nothing to hide at this point.
And eventually it might reduce our annual fee.
Or — if my suspicions are right, it'll give the powers that be a valid excuse to increase what we pay each year for road use.
At least that will be fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment