grandmas

Tuesday, March 3, 2020

A great big problem for us all...

The Corona Virus isn't funny.
That said, my husband still laughs at me when I check the daily updates on my computer.
It's killing people and quite possibly the American Economy.
And no one really knows how to stop it or get away from it.
Denial isn't working.
Neither is minimizing the problem. (Sure, the common varieties of flu kill a lot of people too but this is a bug that seems to live longer and defy the things we do to survive it.)
At last count, over 90,000 people have contracted the virus and thousands have died. Many seem to be running around unaware that they are contagious.
No one seems to have clear answers as to what to do.
Antibiotics do not work against the Corona virus. There is no vaccine for it.
Washing one's hands is certainly a safeguard but not a surefire solution.
Neither is gargling with bleach as some crazy people with a death wish suggest.
Wearing a face mask only helps stop somebody who has the virus from giving it to you, not you getting it.
Buying a lot of toilet paper and cases of water apparently is helping some feel they can control it.
But that's a false illusion (though I'm sure we'll need those things when we're all under quarantine).
We can try to adjust our habits, stand six feet from one another and avoid crowds.
We can stop going to church and to ballgames and conventions but I'm not sure we as a society can stop hugging and shaking hands and touching one another.
I think we depend on touch to reassure one another and to give comfort.
We enjoy concerts and reunions and big events.
Maybe we can learn to fist bump and wave but I have little hope that that would work.
I'm worried about more than the stock market slide and the probable cancellation of our upcoming cruise.
I'm fretting about the children and the old folks, which is my demographic currently.
I think we're underestimating the calamity. We simply don't know what to do for sure. This wasn't in our Relief Society training classes.
We can hope for a vaccine.
We can try to maintain our courage and be optimistic, even tell ourselves it's going to be fine.
But when it comes right down to it, I think our best option is to pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment