grandmas

Sunday, May 31, 2020

Police lives matter too...

Watching the disrespect Saturday night and the havoc and peril that protesters created for police officers in Salt Lake City, I couldn't take their side in things.
Certainly the man who died in Minnesota deserved some justice and consideration.
For sure, the situation was sad and unwarranted and shouldn't happen again.
But, what does it accomplish for Salt Lake City people to go on record as lawbreakers and hooligans?
Why burn up a patrol car and ruin TRAX stations and toss rocks and scooters at each other?
What exactly does any of that accomplish?
Years ago, I had to carry a small black box with me one week of each month to keep me informed of trouble in the streets.
The police scanner was a pain because I could never fully relax.
If something wasn't going on, something was going to.
If I missed a code or failed to recognize a situation that would be a significant story, I would have to explain it to an unhappy editor.
Many times, the story developing was buried in static and something I was trying to follow, melted away into just a burst water main or a garage fire.
But often, it required I get in my car, drive to a dark address and try to get information on something that involved life and death and upset families.
Last night, Marc and I were both happy to not be involved.
Although our Spidey senses were going off, we very quickly started thanking our lucky stars that we were safely at home, watching the chaos on TV.
When people get out of control like some of them did, it's scary.
There's no telling what they will do.
The throwing rocks and bottles, the smashing of glass, the reckless destruction of cars and property, propels people to unleash anger that hurts.
Sometimes the mob mentality changes a usually decent guy or girl into a hellion.
I couldn't help wonder if the protestors forgot that police officers are people too; fathers, brothers, husbands, mothers.
Do they really want to "Kill All Pigs?" Do they understand that the police protection is the very thing that makes it possible for them to exercise their freedom to run wild?
As the police formed shoulder-to-shoulder lines to try and walk back the crowds, I was impressed with their training, their patience, their courage in the face of real and volatile danger.
I didn't see fear or loss of temper.
I was somewhat ashamed of Salt Lake City folks who look to the nation as if we are out of control and unaware that destruction costs us all.
I was glad no one died, that no one persuaded the police to directly engage to the point that more harm would be done in the name of George Floyd.
I'm also hoping this won't be repeated and if it is, I want no part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment