grandmas

Monday, April 20, 2020

Out with the old...


Rashly, a few weeks back, I told Marc he could get a new TV with his stimulus check.
There were two reasons I made this promise.
First, I didn't think there would ever be a stimulus check.
And secondly, I didn't really think he'd take me up on it.
Our current TV was working fine and it was just about as big enough as the space would allow.
It also had some quirks that made it so it required three remotes working together to get it going.
I had finally mastered the system so I could get my shows without having to call him up at work (back when he did that) or rehearsal (back when they could hold rehearsals).
I really was quite happy with the way things were and I've never been very impressed with how the different TVs broadcast their pictures.
He kept pointing out the ones at Costco that had such good pictures and I'd just keep going to the produce department.
But then, the dad gum government actually started to send out the money.
I was standing in the kitchen making lunch for grandkids when Marc started celebrating.
"I know just the one I want!' he hollered.
I realized we were committed and I even said a mild cuss word. "Grandma!, said shocked kids.
I immediately regretted my slip and Marc stopped talking about his new TV but he didn't stop measuring.
A few days later, I realized my mistake.
I owned up to the fact that one of the stimulus checks was truly his and a new TV would lift his spirits in this pandemic period.
We put on our masks and headed to Costco.
Now we have this lovely, large TV where the old, outdated cast-off used to be.
We took that one downstairs and started to figure out how to get rid of the big, boxy HD thing that preceded it.
It's a huge, heavy monster that has actually served well as a game monitor for many years.
It took Marc and my son 10 years off their lives to wrangle it up the stairs and out to the porch so some guys could haul it off for $90.
Now we have this smart, Samsung 55-inch television that walks, talks and does our taxes and laundry for us.
It's nice.
I just can't really tell the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment