grandmas

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Watch out for the vegetables

Four-year-old Hannah was over visiting after her dance lesson.
She was telling me that her big sister was sick and her tummy hurt.
Since Adell has been running a fever, I had invited Hannah to stay a while and help me at my house. She had lots to say.
Hannah seemed to think whatever was bothering Adell was related to what she had eaten over the weekend.
"Too much fruit and vegetables," she stated as she slathered several colors and layers of frosting on the sugar cookies we were decorating. "Her tummy was too full."
"Adell said there are no fruit and vegetables in strawberry yogurt," Hannah went on to inform me. "So it's OK."
Hannah seemed pretty sure of her facts even though I think her mother probably tries to get everybody to eat MORE fruits and vegetables, not less.
She was pretty matter-of-fact as she worked on her cookies.
"Don't you think you ought to eat a little less frosting and a bit more cookie?" I asked her as she licked a star-shaped cookie clean for the third time. "I don't want you to get a tummy ache."
Hannah told me she was fine and there were no fruit and vegetables in cookies or frosting anyway.
She somehow has become convinced that the secret to a healthy life lies in making sure no fruit or vegetables sneak up on you. Sugar doesn't appear to be an enemy.
Just gotta watch out for those carrots and peas.

No comments:

Post a Comment