grandmas

Friday, September 23, 2011

Elvis would just cry

I'm hearing rumors that the U.S. Post Office might be closing its doors.
Apparently email and texting has killed the need for people to buy stamps, wrap packages in plastic tape and wait endlessly in line to send greetings and information.
And although I understand the problems and frustrations there are with snail mail, I'll be sad to see it go.
Getting the mail every day is such a kick.
I even enjoy getting bills and junk mail as long as there's something tucked in there, even better when there's fun like a check or an invitation to a wedding.
I like to open the mailbox and find treasure. I still get mad at Marc when he beats me to the box.
I try to imagine a future without the mailman.
The days will drag without a break.
There will be nothing to spark up the routine.
And what will happen to love songs like the Marvelette's one with lyrics such as "Wait. Oh, wait! Mr. Postman, Look and see, is there a letter for me!" and Elvis' "Return to Sender?"
Will they be obsolete? Will no one understand their true meaning?
They certainly won't have the same impact. Future generations won't have a clue as to what they're talking about.
("Oh, computer, send me some email?" and "Bounce back to sender?" won't be the same at all.)

No comments:

Post a Comment