grandmas

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Dr., may I Jet-ski?

I stopped my doctor in his tracks when I asked him my questions.
I was seeing Dr. #4 in my quest to find out why my right arm kept aching and hurting.
So far, I had spent about $2,000 and been to my primary physician, a neurosurgeon, a neurologist and now this sports medicine guy.
I had undergone an MRI, a mammogram, a painful nerves test and a series of prolonged question-and-answer along with "Does this hurt?" probe sessions trying to root out the problem.
I figured it was old age, arthritis or a combination of the two.
I also figured I'd be told to take two aspirin and go to bed.
On the other hand I wanted pertinent information as to the future.
What would I have to give up?
Numbskull anyone?
This doctor explained that while my MRI didn't make a case for surgical intervention, it did show some loss of cartilage between the 5th and 6th discs in my back.
It showed some bone spurs and some degeneration that eventually would be a real problem if I insist on getting older.
In the meantime, he thought a Cortizone shot and some babying of my shoulder and arm would be in order.
He prepared the arm for the shot, swabbing my skin.
"So Doctor, can I still Jet-ski and ride roller coasters?" I warbled.
He swung around to look me straight in the eyes.
He smiled slightly and said, "Now, did you really ask me that?
"Really?" he repeated. "What do you think my answer would be?"
I was taken aback.
"Well," I said. "I mean how dangerous is it? A little dangerous, completely crazy, what?"
He shook his head.
"Let me put it this way. We can fix a few things here, make some repairs. But we can't go back in time and make things like they were 40 years ago.
"I just don't know why anybody would consider Jet-skiing in your situation."
I guess that means no, right?


1 comment:

  1. I had undiagnosed arm pain for months about 10 years ago. I saw my Dr, a vascular surgeon and also a neurologist. They came up with zero. Then one day the I was telling the checker at the grocery store about my pain. She pressed on different spots on my elbow and said, "You have tennis elbow. You need to see an orthopedic dr." I did and sure enough that was exactly what he diagnosed me with. He put a little brace on my arm and within an hour the pain was nearly gone. I was then sent to PT for exercises. So as I'm reading this, I wonder if you also have tennis elbow. And no, I don't play tennis.

    Of course now, all these years later I have upper arm and shoulder pain...but that's a whole different story.

    Anyway, in the middle of last night I remembered about this and thought I should come on here and tell you just by chance this would help you.

    ReplyDelete